Eric: Shake Shack is on my block, but I try not to go all the time so I can live to at least 34. But I went last night, planning to do a story about their beer selection. Alas, it was crowded and there was nowhere to sit. So, I took it back home and continued my Jack’s Abby frenzy with Kiwi Rising. (check out our other Jack’s Abby reviews: Jabby Brau, Lashes/Smoke & Dagger).
I had a Kiwi Rising for the first time last week, and didn’t like it much. But, it hadn’t been property chilled and wasn’t as cold as it should have been. So, I gave it another try and I’m glad I did.
Like most (all?) of their beers, it’s a lager.. this one being an India Pale Lager. From their website:
“This is an intensely hoppy and strong lager that we refer to as a Double India Pale Lager. Over four pounds of hops per BBL of New Zealand hops (Kiwi Hops) were used in progressively larger hop additions throughout the brewing process. Four kettle hop additions, whole leaf hops in the hop back, and multiple dry hop additions infuse an intense floral and citrusy aroma. No kiwifruit or kiwi birds were used in the production of this beer.”
It was a really great combo of an IPA and a lager. First dough flavor from the malt, then fruit and grass from the hops. I thought it was light, and I drank it pretty fast. I don’t think it paired especially well or badly with my food, but I ate it all pretty fast too.
Andrew: At least you waited a whole week to get Shake Shack again 🙂 My review of Kiwi Rising is also here … in case you’re interested in doubling up on Kiwi Rising reviewz. 😉
- Jack’s Abby releases back to back masterpiece #DIPLs #JacksAbby (mrhopsbeertalk.wordpress.com)
- A Great Beer, A Good Beer, A Bad Beer…and Ice Cream (wheresthebeerny.wordpress.com)
- Jack’s Abby Jabby Brau (wheresthebeerny.wordpress.com)
- It’s National Lager Day (examiner.com)
- LIFESTYLE: Shake Shack hits London (insidespyce.wordpress.com)
- Shake Shack hosts Bike Checks, Brews and Burgers (phillymag.com)
- shake shack obsessed (lovealexandria.com)
- Shake Shack NYC (thenerdymodel.wordpress.com)
- Shake Shake Shake (stefaniekf.wordpress.com)
- Shake Shack gets temporary beer-and-wine license (ocregister.com)